22 February 2011

Your name

Dear Thumper,

Hi. This is Mom.

Such a funny thing happened to me yesterday. Well, Dad wasn't as blown away by it as I was, but - that's Dad. Anyway...

I was running a web writing workshop at Absa; the last day in a three-day training series. EEP. It was going well, although I was tired and had a sore back. You know, the usual. We broke for lunch, over which one of the delegates - Claire - asked me if we had a name for you.

I gave my usual answer: 'No, we'll name her when she comes. But we do have a shortlist.' And as you know, there are four names now on the shortlist: M, E, C and N. And as you know, I'm tight-lipped about nothing except the four names on the shortlist...

So, possibly to fill the silence, one of the other delegates, Nomtha, began to tell me about her little boy, and about a friend of his with the same name. You're not going to believe this, but of all of the million names in the world, both of their names are our 'M' name!

How weird?

With one 'l'.

Obviously Nomtha had no idea what was in my head, but my eyes nearly fell out, so shocked was I.

Is it a sign? Is that the universe's way of telling me what your name should be? I mean, what are the odds? She could have said anything. And she said your 'M' name. That's her kid's name. I'm finished.

Right, off to save the day.

May your name - whatever it turns out to be - suit you, and may you suit it.

Love you.

Mom x

No comments:

Post a Comment