01 February 2011

What a day!

Dear Thumper,

Hi. This is Mom.

I seriously hope external stressors aren't really that big a deal where you're concerned, cos if they are, you must be having the shittiest day ever! Sorry, angel.

Mom's trying to win an award for surviving several massive irritations in one 24-hour period, without cracking up completely, and if you weren't constantly reminding her that there's more to life than bullshit, by very gently (thank you...) kicking her every hour or so, it'd all be that much harder.

Large whinge:

So, Dad's still away. The car battery's buggered. The remote blaster isn't working (and we live in a double-storey). The bedroom aircon's on the blink. The BlackBerry is temperamental. And our three psychotic cats, who you'll meet soon, have delivered me three dead birds in three days.

One, without its head attached. Yummy.

(This is over the above the dodgy damp walls, leaking roof, homicidal garage door, damaged dining room floor, and whatever other expensive mishap is awaiting poor, tired, grumpy, pregnant me.)

But then again:

(In random order...)


  1. You're coming.
  2. You're healthy and perfect and I've had an easy, reasonably uncomplicated, lovely pregnancy.
  3. You're bum up, head down.
  4. You're unlikely, according to Jivvy the Genius, to be a 4-kilo sumo wrestler at birth.
  5. You're a girl.
  6. You haven't (so far) given me stretch marks, bleeding gums, bad hair, broken nails, constipation, snoring, migraines, water retention, a hideous squashy preggie nose or any of the other things I was warned about.
  7. Your room is coming along - slooowly - and it's going to be gorgeous. It may even be ready before you arrive. Imagine that. 
  8. You haven't completely removed my capacity for sleep.
  9. The ADSL is currently working (sorry, that's a biggie...)
  10. I need 10. Um... Being pregnant means wearing the tight tops I was never confident enough to wear when I had only a small, non-preggie belly and eating dessert every time a dessert menu is proffered.


So, this isn't a completely awful day. I've even managed to get some work done. No actual writing, mind you, but a fair bit of admin, some revisions and some organising. And tonight, if I'm lucky, Yaya will actually get here with the promised tuna salad (last night's) and I'll have a slightly healthier, more sensible dinner than a small hunk of cheddar, some grapes, an apple and a mini Magnum.

May you handle small stresses more like Dad does than I do.

Love you.

Mom x

No comments:

Post a Comment