27 June 2011

Milestones...

Hi Milla.

It's Mom.

You know, it seems you're milestoning every single day, angel. And every day I feel compelled to record, for the one and a half people who are reading this, what you're up to. I also don't want to forget. (And, considering that I am a basket case - but not for long, promise - remembering is important.)

So, the milestone/s.

Well, last week we spent two nights having sleepovers at Yiayia's house, cos Dad was working nights. That's a milestone for me - the taking-you-out-for-a-sleepover part. But there's more... You discovered a few things and I discovered a few things. Here, for the record, is a shortlist of both:

You discovered:


  • That if you lie on Yiayia's black carpet and look at the coffee table, there's a baby looking back at you. Yes, you discovered mirrors! Cutest.
  • That there's a special white frilly bassinet at Yiayia's house, just for you, and that you like to lie in it and bat the blue mobile Vera bought you.
  • That there's such a creature as Gucci ('Mommy'th Boy'), and that he likes to stare at you, lick you, leap up towards you (but not on you, cos he's closely monitored), and sometimes bark at you.
  • That you could put yourself to sleep.


I discovered:


  • That I could physically bring myself to take you out of the house for a whole, whole night.
  • That there's something deeply comforting about Yiayia's house, where I once lived. And worked.
  • That two glasses of wine and a silly movie (Mr & Mrs Smith) make for a very happy space.
  • That you can put yourself to sleep.


This last one is a biggie. I don't know what possessed me to try it but, after your 7pm feed, I took you to Yiayia's room, dimmed the chandelier (yes, really), swaddled you, gave you a kiss and simply plonked you into the white frilly bassinet. Then, I left the room. I wasn't holding out much hope that this would yield sleep on your part, but I did it anyway. And, each time Yiayia and I ventured towards the doorway to check on you (which we did about 300 times over the next half hour), you were playing with your hands, sucking your thumb or gurgling very quietly to yourself, and you were very happy. Shortly, you were asleep - and you slept til 6am! You can't imagine the extent of my pride and delight. I love you.

And just because I can, let me say this again: You're the greatest baby in the world. I love you.

Mom x

No comments:

Post a Comment