17 March 2011

Half day.

This is Rihanna. LOVE this pic.
Dear Thumper,

Hi. This is Mom.

You know, maternity leave - the bit before the baby comes - is a bit weird. I've worked at full tilt, 9 or 10 hours a day, for the last 9 or 10 years and I'm afraid I simply don't know how to switch off. At least, not while I'm at home.

My new routine? Wake up at 7. Eat. In bed, next to sleeping Dad. Get up around 8am or so to shower, change, feed cats, etc. Start work around 8.30am, and admit Roxana around 9am. Work in the office til 1pm or 1.30pm.

And then, veg.

TV (crappy TV), snacks (unhealthy kak), cats, or errands (expensive grooming or Thumper things)...

Til around 3pm when, typically, I look around in complete bamboozlement at how people fill days when there's no work to do - or, no work they feel like doing. And I find myself heading into the office to fetch my laptop, on which I then tinkle and twinkle for a couple of hours. Admin, marketing, general fiddling about, tweeting - you know, the stuff people who have salaries do to break the tedium...

And the guilt! G-d, it's hideous. I feel like the entire universe is scowling down at me for being such a lazy-ass during a perfectly good work day.

So, Thumps - my conclusion? I'm ready for you. For a new 24-hour-a-day occupation. For something other than work, study, success and self-promotion to occupy my mind and my time... For my business to evolve slightly and my mind to follow a whole new path for a while. And if that means a slight drop in earnings later on (I'll accept a 50% knock, I reckon, but no more), so be it. You're worth it.

I don't know much (yet), but I do know that.

May you have my work ethic. (No offence to Dad. But I am a superlative workaholic, me.)

Love you.

Mom x

No comments:

Post a Comment